Old May 13th 05, 12:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Antoņio" wrote in message
news

If the FAA simply depicted a cylinder of theoretical signal strength
within the actual "semi-sphere" of service, I would completely follow the
analogy.

However, the FAA has depicted cylinders of various diameters stacked upon
each other. Given that the VOR is line-of-sight, I did not understand why,
for example, a VOR would be received 130nm out at FL180 yet only be
received 100nm at FL500. Doesn't it logically follow that at the higher
altitude the VOR would be able to be received further out?

Yes, it does logically follow that at the higher altitude the VOR would be
able to be received further out. Do you now understand why the distance is
less at higher altitude?