Old November 8th 04, 11:24 AM
Cub Driver

I have never landed except on snow. But read in the
AOPA magazine and heard it said that half ice and half
pavement is the worst situation. eXCEPT all ice with
six inch ruts seems like the worst to me.

Ice is very bad, no matter what's under it. And ice is what you
inevitably get in the Northeast at some point in the winter,
especially on a grass runway. (Pavement is likely to melt the ice
off.)

I have been blown sideways on the runway, and I have had to make turns
on ice so slick that I had to switch to one magneto in order to travel
slowly enough at idle to make the turn without sliding off.

One winter we had an instructor who brought her figure skates to kill
time on such a day. It certainly adds to the excitement of taxiing on
glare ice when you have to worry about mincing up the CFI on your way
to the gas pump.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum