Old May 3rd 16, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default cold weather flying

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-4, ND wrote:
thanks guys! i actually have a pair of heated insoles, they work very well in insulated footwear, but they aren't much good in a pair of sneakers, so i wanted to find a pair of good boots to put them into. i think i'll take a serious look at the motorcycle boots, and ski boot liners. ski boots are supposed to be stiff, but i don't know if the liners are restrictive.

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 3:32:50 PM UTC-4, ND wrote:
Hi all,

My thread is either 8 months too late, or three months too early depending on how you look at it.

I'm looking for opinions on gear for cold weather flying, and high altitude flying, particularly as it relates to footwear. I'm trying to find a pair of boots which are warm and insulated, but also relatively low profile because i'm looking for rudder clearance. does anyone know of a good brand or specific boot?

thanks dudes.

-Andy

Not only the boots are important; change to dry socks just before take-off, and it is a good idea to spray your feet with antiperspirant. Evaporating moisture really cools the feet.
Also, on Arctic Survival, one theme was always, "If your feet get cold, wear a bigger hat" - since you're losing the heat up top. You don't win awards for style, but a wool watch cap lined with Thinsulate really keeps your feet warm.
For boots in the Lake Placid Wave, I use BEARPAW Men's Dream 8" Shearling Boot,Hickory. I've used them 3 years, and they're holding up well (I only wear them to fly). You have to order one size larger than you normally wear. I only put them on just before T/O, change socks, etc. They fit well under the rudder pedal loops on the SZD-55 (nice in rotor).
Dan
2D