Old August 16th 03, 03:57 AM
Snowbird

wrote in message ...
On 15-Aug-2003,
(Snowbird) wrote:
Leave out the #2 OBS altogether and fill the hole with an electric
horizen gyro? We can identify intersections and back up the loc
with the GPS...course it's less precise...

If you fly "serious" IFR, that would definitely be my vote.

Heh. Yeah, I suppose you would say we fly "serious" IFR.
Perhaps more serious than one ought to get in a light GA
single.

This has a certain attraction. But for some time, I've been
wanting to move in the other direction: adding a 2nd glideslope
receiver. For those times when the ILS is the only way down.
We don't take off into that situation, but we seem to get
there all the same.

OTOH, for some time I've been wanting to add an electric AI,
too, and I've been growing increasingly skeptical of how useful
a right-side instrument would be if we could find one.

Re some other posts: actually putting hands on a used KI-214
doesn't seem to be an issue. Even a yellow-tagged function
checked KI-214. What concerns me is the fact it would be a
product of similar age to the KI-201C we're replacing. If
it's true that this KI-201C basically can't be repaired 'cuz
it's just too old, same concern applies to KI-214.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a 2 1/2" CDI
which will work w/ King 17X radios?

Thanks for the input, Elliot!
Sydney