Old March 7th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default A Call to Arms from Richard VanGrunsven

"stol" wrote in message ...
I agree with the , " harder to have one built for you" concept.. I
have been to several airshows-fly-ins etc, and chat with experimental
owners who sit under the wings of their bought homebuilts and bask in
the glow of,, See what I built crap. Later in the conversation they
usually say " Yeah, Ol Clem up in Montana, Texas, Florida", pick a
state, " did a great job of building my wizbang 200 mph toy. In my
mind they are lying sacks of **** and with this action are poking
their finger in the eyes of the FAA. The intent of experimental /
homebuilts rule was for the " educational and recreational aspect of
the builder, not to see who has the most money.. IMHO.

Yup,... I share your annoyance listening to them, but I'm glad they're
spending their money in aviation rather than boating or classic cars. These
bloated ego "come look at me" guys are present in every arena of life. I
just keep thinking about how small our circle would be if they dried up.
Sales at Spruce (Chief,... you name em) would drop and half of our source
chain would disappear. Ol Clem wouldn't have his million dollar hanger in
his poverty stricken backwater corner. Fact is you may never even hear about
him outside his small loyal admirers. It would be a lot more "homey", but
homey don't pay the bills.