Old April 6th 04, 02:24 PM

Aloft wrote:

20 days a year/90 nights a year is not what I'd call an airspace "grab",
more like an improvement in safety for those few times a year when the
Marines want to do a full dress rehearsal.

Agreed.

Do you fly around that area much? If you did, you'd know what a hazard is
created whenever the Marines conduct a full-scale exercise, as they did this
last weekend. Despite NOTAMs and flyers on FBO bulletin boards, idiots
still continue to blunder into those hot areas, threatening not only their
own lives, but the lives of the military aircrews operating there. You know
the type I'm talking about; the 60-something pilot who's flown that
coastline a thousand times so he doesn't own a current terminal chart, never
bothers to check NOTAMs, doesn't feel comfortable talking to SoCal so he
doesn't, never bothers to check FBO bulletin boards, etc, etc. Basically
your airborne Sunday driver. Now, I'm sure you're saying, "well, that type
of pilot won't even know about the restricted area". He'll find out when
ATC asks him to jot down a telephone number.

I live just to the north of the restricted area. It is violated constantly.
Alas, no one enforces it. SoCal doesn't even track aircraft in that area that
are that low.

And by-the-by, R-2503A already encompasses the airspace in question from the
surface to 2000 ft.

Well, the MOA goes further out to sea than does the present restricted airspace.

Keep in mind, too, there is a nuclear power plant in this mix that makes a lot
of folks nervous.