Old August 4th 05, 04:36 PM

Yes. I saw the AOPA language. But the actual proposal contains this
language:

We believe that as part of ensuring the
security of the people, property and
institutions in the Nation's capital, and
surrounding area, it is essential to know
the intended route of flight of the
aircraft, to have the aircraft squawk a
discrete transponder code, and to have
automatic altitude reporting equipment
on board the aircraft that transmits to
ATC. Government officials believe that
some types of aircraft operations (i.e.,
those conducted under parts 91, 101,
103, 105, 125, 133, 135 and 137) should
continue to be prohibited within 15
miles of the DCA VOR/DME, unless
specifically authorized by the FAA in
consultation with the DoD and DHS.

and this language:

Who Is Potentially Affected by This
Rulemaking?
Private Sector
All aircraft would have to be
transponder equipped when entering
the proposed DC SFRA and maintain
two-way communications while flying
in the proposed area. Pilots operating in
accordance with visual flight rules
(VFR) would have to file flight plans to
fly within the proposed DC SFRA.
There are approximately 150 airports
in the proposed DC ADIZ. Given the
additional requirements that general
aviation pilots face, the FAA is
concerned that many of these airports
would have fewer operations. In some
cases, some of these pilots may elect to
use alternate nearby airports outside of
the proposed DC SFRA.

Indeed, I read through the entire proposal, and I can't find anything
that
makes the restrictions worse. Indeed, It seems to loosen the
restrictions
for "Special Egress Procedures for Fringe Airports", specifically
"Airlie,
Albrecht, Harris, Martin, Martin State, Meadows, Mylander, Stewart, St.
John,
Tilghman Whipp, Upperville, and Wolf airports", by allowing folks those
pilots
to use a specific transponder code and not require them to contact ATC.
Of
course, I've only heard of two of these airports...Upperville, which is
private
and always deserted (CIA?) and Airlie...which is a grass strip that I
and
children went on a demo flight in a 1930's era biplane several years
ago. I
digress.

I hope I'm reading this correctly. I worked three gruelling years
getting my
ticket, and shutting down GA flights out of leesburg would essentially
render
flying impractical for me.

-BC