Old August 4th 05, 06:05 PM
George Patterson

Hm...I just read the proposed changes and I don't see that:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...4adiz-nprm.pdf

Am I missing something here?

Take a closer look at the fourth page of text (not counting the title page). It
states they propose to establish this area as "national defense airspace." Among
other things, that opens pilots to criminal prosecution for unauthorized entry
instead of the sanctions the FAA are allowed to use presently, as stated in
section 93.33. That section also clearly states that they may shoot you down
anywhere in the new zone. It's been assumed that they might do this if you got
into the FRZ section of the current ADIZ, but even that has not been openly
stated, AFAIK.

In section 93.49, they discuss additional costs. Just processing the new flight
plans required for traffic into and out of the airports in the area will cost
those airports an estimated additional $47,111.00. Costs for other airports are
expected to run $203,429.00. So we have the airports spending 1/4 million more
for new paperwork involving flight plans. New traffic control issues will cost
the FAA nearly $11 million more than today and flight plan processing pushes the
cost up well over $11 million for the FAA. All costs are in 2002 dollars.

Later on, they discuss other losses to the "Washington three" airports. All
things considered, this measure is expected to cost College Park alone $171,900
each year. The current ADIZ restrictions are costing College Park $1.62 million
a year.

Perhaps AOPA is technically incorrect in calling it a restricted area but, no,
they aren't just making the ADIZ permanent.

Thanks for the link to the proposal, by the way.

George Patterson