Old August 5th 05, 04:05 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:00:47 -0400, "John T" wrote in
::

Larry Dighera wrote:

I disagree. The DC ADIZ provides an opportunity for the military to
intercept flights that violate it before they might enter the FRZ
within which lethal force may be exercised. If the DC ADIZ (or
something similar) did not exist, there would be no opportunity to
determine how much of a threat those flights might be, and the
military would have no other option but to shoot them down. So while
the DC ADIZ does nothing, in my opinion, to make DC more secure, it
may provide some measure of mitigating erroneous shoot downs of fellow
airmen.

You give our enemies far too little credit if you really believe this.

I fail to understand you inferred that from what I wrote. You will
note that I made no mention whatsoever of enemies in that statement.
My point was that the DC ADIZ's purpose most probably is to protect
the innocent from lethal force.

[...]

I agree; the DC ADIZ does nothing to make DC more secure.

If this is the case, why do you keep arguing *for* the ADIZ?

I'm not in favor of the DC ADIZ. I'm just attempting to clarify its
intended purpose.

[...]

Further, I feel that our government putting it's citizens in the cross hairs

is repugnant in a free society.

Yet you argue for just that when you want fighters intercepting errant
aircraft in the ADIZ.

Surely you must agree, that the attempt to identify flights violating
the DC ADIZ as friend or foe preferable to downing all such flights.

What would you propose in place of the DC ADIZ and FRZ?

Considering that *nobody* is claiming knowledge of any imminent attack,
nothing. I'm not opposed to *temporary* restrictions in times of heightened
threat, but most of the rest of the country now enjoys the same freedoms
they had prior to 9/11 and February 2003 while those of us under the DC veil
are still denied those freedoms - even in the absence of a heightened
threat.

That seems a reasonable proposal.

By the way, where are those regular justifications for the ADIZ the FAA was
mandated to provide to Congress?

Ask baby Bush. He's an expert at justifying inane actions. :-)