Old August 5th 05, 05:20 PM
John T

Larry Dighera wrote:

I disagree. The DC ADIZ provides an opportunity for the military to
intercept flights that violate it before they might enter the FRZ
within which lethal force may be exercised. If the DC ADIZ (or
something similar) did not exist, there would be no opportunity to
determine how much of a threat those flights might be, and the
military would have no other option but to shoot them down. So
while
the DC ADIZ does nothing, in my opinion, to make DC more secure, it
may provide some measure of mitigating erroneous shoot downs of
fellow airmen.

You give our enemies far too little credit if you really believe
this.

I fail to understand you inferred that from what I wrote. You will
note that I made no mention whatsoever of enemies in that statement.
My point was that the DC ADIZ's purpose most probably is to protect
the innocent from lethal force.

You snipped the part where I explain that:
quote
Every single violation of the DC ADIZ to date has been erroneous - some
grossly so (see "Hayden Shaeffer") while most were not. The ADIZ does
nothing but separate those following the rules from those not following
them. Assuming for the moment that Al Qaeda (or some similar outfit) were
to use airplanes to cause mischief here in DC, I'd exect them to follow the
rules right up to the last minute.

Really, how hard do you think it would be to locate a vetted pilot, kidnap
them and extract the information needed to penetrate the FRZ?
/quote

The point being, it's all to easy to appear as a legitimate flight so the
ADIZ doesn't even do what you suggest it is intended to do: Help ID the bad
guys.

Surely you must agree, that the attempt to identify flights violating
the DC ADIZ as friend or foe preferable to downing all such flights.

Identifying targets before shooting is good. However, the ADIZ offers
nothing to help this. See my point above.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer