Old August 5th 05, 05:21 PM
Jose

Bill Maher recently expressed the opinion, that crashing airliners
laden with hundreds of people was a faith based initiative.

.... and faith is not restricted to Islamics. Your statement
specifically implicated Islamic terrorists, and to do so is a mistake -
both strategic, tactical, and moral. I'm not familiar with Bill Maher's
statement, but just because he said it doesn't mean I agree with it.

So if it's not possible to stop ideas, what action is appropriate?

Acceptance.

Accept the fact that freedom cuts both ways. Support freedom of speech,
freedom of association, and freedom of flight - for enemies as well as
for friends. The measure of a man is not how he treats his friends, but
how he treats his enemies. A great nation leads by example. Now don't
misconstrue my words as if I were saying that we should let terrorists
get away with their actions - no, those who commit vile acts ought to be
hunted down and taken to task. But we should MOST EMPHATICALLY NOT go
treating everyone as a potential terrorist, subject to being shot down
unless they can prove they are good.

You talk about the ADIZ as being a way to prevent innocents from being
shot down. There's another way. Just don't shoot.

I'm just talking about Muslims coming forward of their own volition
and exposing those in their ranks they believe to be terrorists.

That would be nice. It would also be nice if Christians did the same
for those who bomb abortion clinics, and if the pilot community reported
those they believe to be dangerous aviators to the FAA, and if
taxpayers did the same for tax cheats and the IRS. If every neighbor is
looking over the shoulder of every other neighbor, we'll have a much
safer society, no? It's also really great way to "get even" with
somebody who did you wrong... just report them as a suspected
{whatever}, and let the justice system sort it all out.

So... neither you nor I get to decide where it stops. The police and
your neighbors do. But if you're doing nothing wrong, there's nothing
to worry about.

When you lump "people who fly little airplanes" and terrorists in the
same group, it becomes difficult to take your words seriously.

But that is =exactly= what the premise of the ADIZ is.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.