Old August 7th 05, 05:43 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:33:43 -0400, "Happy Dog"
wrote in ::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:26:03 -0400, Bob Noel

In the case of the DC ADIZ, I believe it was created to restrict the
number of targets/flights within its boundaries, so that unidentified
primary radar targets will be easier to spot. Perhaps 'congestion'
would have been a more accurate word than 'clutter.'

Where is your evidence that this is the reason behind the ADIZ?

I have no evidence. It is purely a matter of logical deduction, a
guess.

The August FAA NPRM contains this information:

In February 2003, FAA, in consultation with DHS and other Federal
agencies, implemented a system of airspace control measures to
protect against a potential threat to the Washington, DC
Metropolitan Area. The dimensions of this protected
airspace were determined after considering such factors as the
speed of likely suspect aircraft, minimum launch time and the
speed of intercept aircraft. After extensive coordination among
Federal agencies, two airspace areas were implemented. The outer
area, which closely mimics the current Washington Tri-area Class B
airspace, is called an Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) ...

I suppose one could research the original FAA ADIZ NPRM and find the
reason for it stated the
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2002/sfar94.html
or in its extension:
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite..._extension.pdf

I wasn't able to find the reason for the DC ADIZ in those documents,
hence the guess.