Old August 10th 05, 08:40 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Dave" wrote in message

Brad Zeigler wrote:

And as an added bonus, the Edwards AFB landing qualifies Commander
Collins
for two weeks of valuable cross country time, as opposed to having to log
the time as "local" had they landed at the Cape.

There ya go, Commander, you got free fries with that shake!

I wonder though... during re-entry they do these banking manouveurs
(sp) to help slow down. Early on they banked to about 80 degrees. Does
the commander have acrobatic license? G

No, really, I'd like to see a schematic illustration of exactly how
this flying machine transitions, with temp charts and all. Or,
descriptions/stories from those in the know about this stuff.

NASA.Gov used to have a pretty neat web page up that showed the landing
process on about a High School level. No heat charts but it did list the
skin temp at various points in the reentry process. It's been years and I
don't have a clue as to where it is or if it is still on their site
somewhere.