Old May 23rd 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Stemme S12 in Michigan this Saturday, May 20th (KOZW) @ 4 pm

That's pretty much descriptive of my S10-VT which I've flown some 340
hours since last March.

Today I wanted to soar from Nephi to Logan but the conditions just
weren't there (clouds obscuring the mountain tops). So I simply started
the engine, climbed to 17,500' MSL, and flew directly over the SLC Class
B airspace (with a proper clearance). Arriving at Logan, configured for
landing, and about to turn base, my flying buddy, Miguel, came up on the
radio to ask if I'd arrive in the Logan area and told me that he was in
the ridge to the east. It took a matter of seconds to start the engine,
clean up the aircraft, and climb up to the ridge to join Miguel. After
landing, I simply started the engine and taxied to parking. No more
walking a mile to find the car and the tow bar!

On 5/22/2017 8:49 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
$250k for an Arcus with trailer and electronics and gear? That's not too bad. The Stemme S12 is 369k "loaded" up. A Cobra trailer is another 50k (2-3 hours to rig and derig). Few buy the trailer.

I finally got a chance to fly it today for a short cross country in 2-4 knots of broken, very narrow lift. It flew nicely, needed a little more of an act CG maybe. All operation is simple.The view out the canopy is absolutely extraordinary. Sitting side by side is a game changer. Roll rate was unsurprisingly sluggish but it climbed very, very well even in fairly broken thermals. The motor start is incredibly fast in flight. Literally a few seconds. Landed in a gusty 15-22 mph crosswind. Was not bad at all but requires experience for sure. Taxi is incredibly simple for a tail dragger. Really, really fun overall.

--
Dan, 5J