Old July 8th 03, 05:21 PM
Jim Weir

1. I doubt sincerely you will see one whit of difference whether or not you tie
the ground plane to the ground bus. Perhaps a tiny bit of difference in
sensitivity on the Strikefinder.

2. I prefer all large pieces of metal to be tied together.

Jim

(Fastglasair)

-I am sure you will know the definitive answer to this question. I have a
-"plastic airplane" a Glasair to be specific. I was recently told that ground
-planes should not be tied to ground via a secondary wire to the ground bus.
-What I have done is on my Strikefinder and my transponder I have provided a
-fairly large circular (approx.) ground plane made out of aluminum sheet. The
-antennas are electrically tied via their attachment hardware to the ground
-plane and within the antenna to the outer conductor of the coax. This being
the
-case, is it a mistake to tie an additional conductor to the ground plane and
-tie it to the ground buss? A buddy of mine says that creates a loop which will
-introduce noise and maybe create other problems. What is your opinion on this
-matter?
-

http://www.rst-engr.com