Old January 12th 04, 10:45 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:21:37 -0700, mikem
wrote:

Nathan Young wrote:

Where is the RFI capacitor typically located in a 1971 Piper Cherokee 180?

On the firewall? In the cabin? Next to the battery?

Here's a link to the Cherokee electrical schematic.
http://www.needlescentered.com/cherokee_electrical.htm

Thanks,
Nathan

On the alternator.

What kind of RFI are you experiencing?

Things that cause RFI in GA airplanes:
Brush arcing in electric Turn Coord.
Brush arcing inside the alternator.
Brush noise in electric motor (such as old rotating beacons)
Bad shields on spark wires
Bad shields on P-leads
Bad shields on strobe wiring

Thanks Mike,

Fortunately, I do not have any RFI problems with the plane. The
radios are clear, and the voltage is stable (ammeter is stable too).

However, I've been debugging a problem with my charging system, and
spent some time looking at the schematics. While doing this, I
realized had no idea where the RFI cap sits...

I checked this afternoon. It is mounted on the engine side of the
firewall. The model is a Hisonic RFI 70. It's probably as old as the
plane, so I wonder if it has any capacitance left, or is merely along
for the ride.

-Nathan