Old June 19th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_5_]

Default Future of Electronics In Aviation

Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

What do you think?

1. Do you think that current GA aircraft use not enough electronics?

Not at all. Basic airplanes used for aerobatics, recreation, crop
dusting and other cross-country activities don't need all the crap, and
the extra weight involved with all it reduces performance and creates
potential issues. I had an electric window wire catch fire in my old
Chevy Blazer one time. What the hell? I don't need electric windows
any more than I need a fire in my door.

2. Do you think that current GA aircraft use too much electronics?

Not really. GA is a broad spectrum, and things like GPS and glass panels
are huge workload relievers for cross-country operations and things like
that. You wouldn't want all that crap in an ultralight--although
NWPilot has a kickass electronic kneeboard--but for larger, faster or
more navigation-oriented aircraft it's good to have.

3. Do you think electronics should retain a peripheral role ? (Garmin,
etc) but not be used in control paths (fly-by-wire)?

I'd hate to be reliant on an electrical system and have an electrical
fire or fuses blowing. For comparison, I couldn't roll down the window
in my Chevy until I fixed the wiring. That really sucked.

5. What will the aircraft look like in 2108?

Can't wait to find out. Hopefully we'll still be able to afford to fly
them.

-c