Old June 29th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

On Jun 28, 5:30*pm, Jim Britton wrote:
At 16:47 28 June 2009, brianDG303 wrote:

OK, I gave it a try and here was my result. I registered, got my ID
number, and started to apply for a license. At step 3 you must select
the type (which doesn't match up with the list posted in the last
email) and there are three likely choices;

AA- Aviation Auxiliary
AC- Aircraft
AF- Aeronautical and Fixed

Selecting AC takes you down a path that quickly ends in License Not
Required.
AA and AF takes you to "connection failure- link is broken" and it is
Game Over.

There does not appear to be a way around the link I could find, so it
does not appear possible to obtain a license using the system set up
to issue licenses.

Brian

I did a bit better than you.
I eventually got AA to work.
Got through the first few pages.
But its seems that aliens cannot get licenses - so I gave up.

Darryl - have you actually tried this yourself - or do you not use a
handheld outside of an aircraft?

Jim

Hi Jim

I use ULS for my amateur radio license and a GMRS license (that has
currently lapsed and I don't use) I have no FCC aeronautical license -
as you say I don't have a need.

BTW you need an AF not AA subtype.

And to Answer John DerRosa's questions (again) yes you technically
need an "Aeronautical and Fixed" AF sub-type license for a handheld
(or any air band radio) if used outside of use in an aircraft. If I am
at the airport and transmitting a safety message etc. I'll be "N26DX
on the ground". The details of whether you need to be sitting in the
aircraft etc. I'll leave to you and the friendly FCC inspector. What
is clear but is if you have a mobile setup or handheld in a crew
vehicle or a base station at an FBO or club etc. you need a license
and I think that is entirely OK.

And Mike, no this is not somethign the SSA should pursue. I am sure
the FCC see the point as licensing and enforcing radio transmitters
and requiring a standard of behavior and a way to go after people that
transgress those rules and shut the down violators (by removing their
license and more if needed). With the FAA/FCC arrangement I believe
the FCC can go after your FAA licenses. With a ground crew and a radio
what do they do? Well they go after you first for not having an FCC
license. Do you want the SSA to charge every member $200 or so for a
ten year license and have to deal with FCC paperwork? The regulations
controlling this are laws, the FCC can't just give way licenses to
individuals though large organizations. And remember my warning
earlier about not stirring up things you do not know the outcome from.

Darryl