Old November 10th 18, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6:02:16 AM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
Anybody have any experience and / or advice on putting vortex generators on our Cessna 182 (swept tail) tow plane? Do they actually do much? Or are they hocus-pocus?

We often tow with 15 to 20 knot, gusty, direct cross winds.

Whattadayathink??

Cookie

Cookie --

Towed with a C model for almost two decades, maybe 4000 hrs worth, at Cal City. Swept tail, no rear window, manual flaps, one big oil cooler. No VGs even though the maker of Sportsman STOL was based here. That IA signed off most of our inspections.

We found that if you really needed a little slower lift off, just add the first notch of flaps. Or for the 1-26s. It gave a bit better forward view. That was certainly more thrifty than the VG kit.

It costs you nothing to try it for a while, then decide.

Best wishes,

Cindy B