Old May 7th 05, 11:03 AM
David Cartwright

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
I started IFR instruction with an instructor that refused to fly in
actual. I fired him and got another instructor. Nothing more goddam
useless than an IFR instructor who won't fly IFR.

You should try the instructors at my club then. If you're out on a checkride
or some other such exercise that has no formal content requirement (e.g. the
club has a new aircraft and they want you to do a dual hour so they can show
you the knobs and dials) they'll almost certainly try to find some cloud to
go and play in, icing conditions permitting. When we got our "new" PA-28
with different radio navaids than I was used to, when we went out for my
check ride I found myself in the grey stuff doing holds and finishing with
an ILS down to a 1,200' cloudbase. Not minima, I'll admit, but it's good
that all our instructors are of the opinion that the more you fly in IMC,
the more likely you are to stay in one piece when the cloud is lower than
you thought.

D.