Old May 7th 05, 11:05 AM
David Cartwright

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
As you know, when this happens the VOR1 instrument would show the CDI
alive
(but really tracking the GPS's course for the localizer). The glideslope
needle, however, would be flagged and remain perfectly centered, as if the
pilot were flying a perfect glideslope.

The 172R has the same switch (button actually) and yes, it is easy to
forget.
But as you correctly state, this produces a flagged, immobile GS
indicator.
This would be very difficult to stare at for very long before realizing
that
something was wrong.

I've been surprised, in the half-dozen or so different aircraft I've sat in
the front seat of, how much the visibility of the flags in instruments
varies. A PA-28 I got into recently had instruments with flags that all but
obscured the dial - so you absolutely couldn't miss them. An aircraft I flew
a while back, though, had rather smaller flags, and I strongly suspect that
under stress, one's brain could have completely failed to acknowledge they
were there.

D.