Old October 31st 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Default Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

On Oct 30, 10:40 pm, Bruce wrote:
Hi Dan

Only ~1:40 but the Pipistrel Taurus would also be a good option given the
requirements you set.

Bruce

Dan wrote:
On Oct 30, 4:16 pm, wrote:
On Oct 28, 12:23 am, VARR wrote:

There appear to be a number of Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale.
Are these people already upgrading to the Antares? ;-)
The Stemme is a very special aircraft - it can tour great
distances at high speed, with a friend and maybe even
a toothbrush. It has good performance as a glider.
It is complicated to do all these things...

The Antares is a very different machine for a different use.
It has extremely high performance, but only one seat.
Not for touring under power, though more than enough
capacity for launching and reserve (I've never had mine
below 65% capacity). I rig and derig my Antares quickly
by myself, the Stemme needs a Hangar. The Antares
is more agile than some 15-meter ships, the Stemme
is a bit, um, deliberate about changing direction.

So it wouldn't be an upgrade so much as a change
for a different kind of flying !

Best Regards, Dave "YO"

Dave,
Everyone's requirements for a motorglider are different. My main
goal is to eliminate the long drive time to the gliderports. This is
a fact of life in southern California especially if you live in the
beach areas. I have a hangar/shop at an airport so that is no
problem, in my case it is what I desire.
My requirements for the "perfect motorglider" are to operate out of a
small narrow airport in the Los Angeles basin very close to LAX. I
need to taxi and maybe even taxi with the wings folded. I need to
taxi around many obstacles just as easily as a Cessna. I want to fly
50 miles or more to areas where I can soar. I feel these two
requirements can not be filled with self launchers. I'm sure the
Antares is a wonderful machine but I put the Antares into the category
of being a self launcher, not a motorglider. I've never seen an
Antares but when I've considered a self launcher I have gravitated
towards the ASH-26E, mostly because I've seen them and flown with
them.
I've flown the Stemme and the Ximango and liked them both. They both
fit the physical taxi and ground maneuvering requirements I desire.
Having owned an ASW-20 for several years I don't think I would be
happy with lower performance so the Stemme is more appealing from that
point of view. When I flew the Stemme we flew both ridge and thermals
found it handled very well. It truly is an awesome machine.
The Carat is also high on my list. I'm a little concerned it may be a
little tight to taxi around my airport. The span will just fit
(tight) but the new FAA mandated signage at taxi ways may pose a
problem. I haven't flown one but I've seen and flown with a few,
they impress me.
A nice feature I do like about a self launcher and the Carat is the
ability to trailer as an option. This would allow more flexibility
with regards to weather. The ability to trailer would minimize the
problems we have with VFR flight during the "June Gloom" marine
stratus we deal with in the summer here in SoCal.
Maybe if the next version of Antares had a conventional landing gear
and folding wing tips it would be higher on my list!

Dan Rihn
ASW-20 WO- Hide quoted text -

Bruce,
Yes, I've been following the Taurus as well as waiting for the Mangus/
Maxus to fly. Also keeping an eye on the latest from Stemme. At the
same time saving my money and waiting for the dollar to turn around.
Meanwhile loving my ASW-20 and wishing it could taxi, takeoff, climb
out and motor home at the end of the day!

Dan