Old September 15th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 14, 10:48*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Sep 14, 7:49*pm, ray conlon wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:13*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

I just talked to John Murray about other stuff, and he mentioned that
ASK 21 are actually remarkably easy to get right now. Our club
(chicago glider club) just bought a new ASK21, and it's a joy both to
fly and teach in.

John Cochrane

Get the Schweizers to bring back the 2-33's, the best BASIC trainer
ever built....

Yeah, and the Air Force is going to replace it's T-38s with AT-6s.
Sorry, but the 2-33 is simply not the right trainer anymore (if it
ever was, considering that it postdates the Blanik and is a
contemporary of the sweet little ASK-13!). *We need to attract people
to this sport, not drive them away screaming (or laughing,,,)

Kirk

Exactly!

The 2-33 is suffering the same metal fatigue problems in it's wings as
the L-13.

It also has a HUGE airworthiness issue in that the flight controls in
the front cockpit cannot be moved full range without interfering with
each other. Try holding the spoiler at 50% and moving the stick
through its full range box. Its a mystery how it got an airworthiness
certificate back in 1962. Most pilots with above average thigh
circumference have very little left aileron with 50% spoiler.

The only proper use of a 2-33 is hanging in a museum - as an example
of how NOT to design a glider.