Old September 3rd 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

In a hard crash with a flattish impact (e.g., recovering from a dive or spin but still sinking vertically), the pilot's head can snap back hard, which can cause considerable injury if not prevented by a headrest. One can argue that such a crash might not be survivable anyway but that's not the point..

I know of at least one fatal accident where this was a factor. Since I fly my ASW 24 without the factory backrest/headrest, I added a hard (i.e., not "bouncy") foam pad to address this problem.

Chip Bearden