Old March 8th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default Flying to Texas...recommendations?

On 2007-03-07, Jay Honeck wrote:
We're hoping to depart for Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) next Sunday, to
pay a visit to the Hangar Hotel -- the only other aviation themed
hotel in the country (that we know of).

Fredericksburg is a nice town. I went to that field a few years ago
(with my bike in the back of the C172).

Other destinations you should visit:

Go to Corpus Christi Intl. and visit the USS Lexington. That's a very
good day out.

If you want to go to the beach, Mustang Beach is just up from Corpus,
and the beach is perhaps three minutes walk from the airfield. (The
airfield didn't have fuel last time I went there, but it's pretty close
to Corpus).

Fly into LaPorte near Houston and visit the Battleship Texas - another
good day out, and you can also sit on the AA guns and pretend to shoot
down passing aircraft :-) You can go right down into the bottom of the
engine room, too.

Also, the Johnson Space Center. Houston Gulf used to be the airport to
visit from this but it suffered the same fate as many private airfields
- now covered in tract housing.

Galveston Scholes has the Lone Star Flight Museum on the airfield. Most
of the planes aren't static displays, but flying examples. They also
have a Hustler there that was involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis IIRC
(it had been set up for photographic reconnaisance and was nicknamed
'Peeping Tom'). Also, the Moody Gardens are well worth a visit if you
have the time. If it's IMC, you can tell when you're at the outer marker
- just wait for the foul smell of the Texas City oil refineries!

Good lunch stops - Victoria (Leo's Food Lot, traditional big lumps of
meat steak house, walking distance from the airfield), Weiser airpark
(Carl's BBQ, on the airfield), Brazoria County (food available on the
airfield), Brenham (a very good '50s diner, complete with waitresses in
poodle skirts and apple crumble to die for).