Old October 15th 03, 12:47 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:28:09 -0400, "Jose Vivanco"
wrote:

During my renter days in Montreal the flight school was adamant about
plugging in the aircraft below 0 degC. Their take was, warm oil spreads
itself around faster than colder oil and this would minimize start-up wear
and tear.

That also reduces the size difference between the various engine parts.

Although Lycoming recommends preheat for temps below 20°F (-7°C), I find
that my Lycoming IO360A1A starts much more briskly and easily if I preheat
below about 35°F.