Old April 25th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Our New Club Ship Becoming Reality

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 09:15:03 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 6:03:22 AM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:26:16 -0700, krasw wrote:

ASK 21 is a bear to fly and hugely overrated. It's only pros are it's
ability to not spin and perfectly balanced main wheel location for
great ground handling. Why not buy a glider that is actually fun to
fly and performs for the same money?

ASK-21s do spin: don't let anybody tell you they won't.

I did my pre-solo spin training on one, *without* the tail weight,
though admittedly neither the instructor or myself were heavy people
and it needed a fair amount of persuasion to spin. You need a minimum
energy entry: set it up fully stalled in a straight line with the stick
on the back stop, full rudder until its rolled 45 degrees and then put
the stick in the opposite rear corner, and it rolls wings vertical as
it starts to spin. Recovery is normal.

I still don't fully understand why we used the ASK-21 for my spin
training, though: the club had, and still has, a Puchacz and I was very
familiar with both the ASK-21 and the Puchacz at the time.

Spinning a K-21 at Boulder, CO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iaLGmkuN0

--
Martin | martin at Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I know that instructor. From the comments early on tow, it sounds like
the weights were installed. Hadn't seen that video, so thanks for the
link.

I missed the comment about weights. I flew at Boulder (and did my BFR
there when grandfathering my UK license to get a US glider license in
2001, but was flying with the commercial FBO (Mile High) rather than the
club. But they only had G103 Acro IIIs then. Is it possible I flew with
the same guy? I was pleased that I recognised the Boulder airfield
immediately I saw that video.

I only had a day or two in Denver on arrival - 2-3 days at Boulder and
then it was time to head for the Free Flight World Champs at Lost Hills,
CA, and the Sierra Cup at Sacramento. I flew into and out of Denver
because I have friends there and because I really hate LAX. Besides it
also gave me the chance of flying at Boulder, Avenal and Minden
and then driving back from Sacramento on US70 to Cheyenne and then south
to Denver.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org