Old March 24th 05, 05:02 AM
Pete Schaefer

If you wait that long, you're probably more concerned if the chain that's
holding the motor to the firewall is going to break after the motor cuts
loose from the mounts. All too often, the vibrations start to pick up
seconds or miliseconds before a catastrophic failure.

To do such a health-monitoring function properly, you really want some
seeded fault data to characterize what a "bad" engine spectrum looks like.
How many engines do you want to sacrifice to get the data? You can approach
it from the "anything different from a healthy engine signature" standpoint,
but that will likely result in a ton of false positive fault indications.

"LCT Paintball" wrote in message
"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Understood. What I started out to do (and still plan on doing) is to

have
a device that will stay permanently mounted to the engine that can be
calibrated (adjusted, signed, pick a verb) when the engine is known to

be
good and light a "your engine is about to come apart" lamp at the
appropriate time.

Excuse my ignorance, but couldn't you just feel the vibrations?