Old March 21st 21, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing Drop, Aerotow vs Winch, Grass vs Pavement.

Before a wing tip even touches the ground, any tailwind component counteracts any aerodynamic control input. The more deflection, the more OPPOSITE effect you get, causing pilot-induced problems. (Why is this glider shooting off to the left when I have full right deflections **!!) It can be mistakenly blamed on the wing runner, prop blast, rogue gust, etc. Hang on a split second longer, and you suddenly have positive control, maybe (?), when forward speed overcomes the tailwind. But by then you just scared yourself and innocent people. Neutralizing the controls, or using "opposite" inputs for the brave, until the tailwind vanishes should help.

Better yet, I just avoid any tailwind tow (for multiple good reasons), especially on an unassisted wing-down takeoff.