Old December 4th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default ATC-pilot User Groups

Greg Esres wrote:
I'm considering setting up a controller/pilot user group locally.
Does anyone else here have experience with such groups? I'd be
interested in the format, content, and involvement of such meetings.

Thanks

I'd start by contacting the local facility and speaking with a local
manager.

I've been to Wings seminars where the topic was "Ask the Controllers",
as well as participated in facility tours. The Wings seminar guests
included FAA controllers, as well as local contract tower controllers.

A few years ago (but still post 9/11), I took a tour of BDL app/dep and
tower that was absolutely incredible. A normal tour might include a
guide pointing out the departments, introducing a few folks, etc...
This was much better, a total of 3 hours! We were there on an IFR
night, with a touch of wind shear, making things even more interesting.

I spent the first 90 minutes in the basement, with the app/dep folks.
I was allowed to "work" live traffic at a console in a training room,
and spent a decent amount of time plugged in with a working controller.
The on-duty guy demonstrated ATC weather capabilites, different
his position. In the training room the capabilities to change sectors,
and even work NYC or BOS traffic from our facility was demonstrated.

The next 90 minutes was spent in the tower cab, shadowing the different
jobs up there (tower, ground, and a WX / ATIS person). Each person
explained the parts of the airport they owned.

This tour was arranged with a simple phone call, and was not a special
event or scheduled open house. I'd try the same for a user meeting.