Old November 12th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

At 17:39 11 November 2019, Mike N. wrote:
"North Americans have to do everything the hard way........."

Really? I'm not sure what part of Europe or South America you

might be
from, but this type of comment is so simplistic it becomes

irrelevant and
laughable.

In the U.S.A. flying gliders or powered aircraft is open to a broader
population than other countries where recreational flying is

typically only
obtainable by the wealthy.

Being able to enjoy the wonders of flight, without having to be

wealthy as
in other countries, is a fantastic opportunity in the U.S.A. not

available
in many other parts of the world. I appreciate that aspect of

american
life.

That does mean however that those of us who fly on a budget may

not be in a
club that owns an expensive motor glider. We have a mixture of

clubs in the
U.S., some with more resources than others.

The previous post that suggested taking a powered flight and

training in
off airport landings makes the most sense in the U.S. market in my

opinion.

Even if you are not a power pilot, spending a few hours with a

power
instructor just practicing off airport landing procedures will benefit
glider pilots.

That training is all about the fundamentals of off airport landings

(land
outs). Determining wind direction, picking a suitable field, slope,
setting up a pattern, etc. Then actually simulating an approach to

land.

$.02 paid in full. YMMV.

Maybe Africa or Asia eh? they soar there too. Just an opinion from
many years of observation...when it comes to soaring.
Your statement that flying gliders is open to a broader population
than other countries where recreational flying is typically only
obtainable by the wealthy is just pure B/S. There are many more
clubs in Europe that allow cheap glider flying in decent equipment.
Have you ever actually visited a European gliding club?
Look at the active youth scene in Europe compared with the USA for
example, look at some of the club gliders that most Europeans can
fly at reasonable cost, off a cheap winch launches - then compare it
with the POS Schweizers most clubs use in the USA. Power flying is
another matter granted- its cheaper in the USA, but then that's not
gliding - but a Scheibe motorglider is hardly what I'd call an
expensive aircraft and cheap to run. Derek Piggott did try to convert
you all many years ago.