Old March 30th 04, 05:25 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, David O wrote

I can't quite figure out the structure of your spar shear web from the
information on your website. Could you enlighten me please?

Basically, the spar is female-molded in two C-sections, with an
exterior wrap of bias cloth and then the carbon strips and the foam
shear web stiffener. The bias cloth is doubled on the back of the C.
After they're cured, the two C-sections get bonded back to back.

Here's a cross-section diagram of one of the spar C-sections:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/typical_x-section.GIF

That cross-section is pretty much as shown on this Marske page:

http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm

Scroll to the figure titled "typical I-beam spar construction."

Also, note that in the photos on the Web site, the spar stub still
isn't finished with mating pin provisions or the final shear wraps.

There are some pictures of the plug we used to make the spar molds on
this Update page:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/update_3_june_02.htm

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.