Old October 26th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
haven

Default Grob 103 Twin II Brake Master Cylinder

On Oct 24, 6:45*am, Mike McCarron wrote:
Where did you find a brake line to purchase that would fit the Grob?

Mike

At 12:42 24 October 2008, haven wrote:

On Oct 24, 4:30=A0am, Andrew Warbrick
wrote:
At 10:15 24 October 2008, Don Johnstone wrote:

At 04:50 24 October 2008, BT wrote:
the new master cylinder may not have the brake lever installed..
(attached)
as most replacement motorcycle parts do not either, the master

cylinder
is

separate part number from the external brake lever handle.

BT

"Mike McCarron" =A0wrote in message
What do you mean by "swap over the lever"?

Mike

At 22:00 23 October 2008, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 13:00 23 October 2008, Jim Beckman wrote:

This thread started with the necessity of replacing the brake

master
cylinder, right? =A0Did anyone mention why it needed replacement?

=
=A0My
first
guess is wear or corrosion in the cylinder bore causing it to

leak
pressure. =A0If this is the case, there are places that will bore

th=
cylinder and sleeve it with either stainless steel or brass.

=A0It's
done
all the time for old cars.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about the legality of
doing
that
for an aircraft brake system. =A0And on the Gripping Hand, I

would
probably
do it that way myself.

Jim Beckman

Old cars normally have steel brake cyliders, the BMW part we are
talking
about is aluminium. Putting a steel or brass sleeve in will almost
certainly cause corrosion (disimilar metals).
A new part is available and is not expensive. All that needs to be
done
is
to swap over the lever.

Look on the bright side, at least he isn't in the UK. I'm pretty

sure
BMW don't supply brake cylinders with EASA release certificates. I

can
imagine:

1. Brake cylinder from BMW: =A3100
2. Identical BMW brake cylinder the man from EASA has sprinkled magic
pixie dust on: =A3350
3. ??????
4. Profit

After replacing the master cylinder on our ship we found that the
problem was with the brake line linking the two cylinders. *When we
replaced it the problem of poor braking was solved. *Must have been
unobservable expansion within the OE line!

As I remember, it came from Grob in Bluffton, OH but now they are out
of the parts supply business ?!