Old October 2nd 20, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows) in about 4000 flightsincluding hundreds instructing, I have never had a rope break onaerotow.Some of you guys must be flying in outfits using very worn or oldrope.John F

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 10:09:12 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I had a rope break at about 700' AGL during an auto tow while on
safari. I climbed away. When I landed, the wheel overran the two feet
of rope hanging from the release and it back released, saving the Tost
ring for the next day's flight. It was a conscious decision not to pull
the release after the rope break.
On 10/2/2020 8:39 AM, Jim Kellett wrote:
On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 7:29:47 PM UTC-4, UH wrote:
For what it may be worth, I have never had a rope break, except failure at the ring on initial acceleration, in over 12000 glider flights. I have had a few tug failures on both ends of the rope.

Sor of the same experience here . . in 55 years of flying gliders, I've had two rope breaks - one in rotor when a violent pitch oscillation by the towplane sent a wave down the rope that back released the CG hook on my Cirrus, and another at ca. 3000' when the towplane's defective release sent a cloud or rope heading my way. Both were non-events. And I can't remember a tow failure after airborne that we always train for, but several while still on the takeoff roll and a couple at pattern altitude or higher.
Skyline's Resident Curmudgeon

--
Dan, 5J