Old August 14th 03, 06:02 AM
Doug Campbell

We had a first run IO-540 at 2400 hrs start to have a valve stick, and a
plug foul repeatedly.
Decided we had got our money's worth, and went overhaul rather than work on
the one cylinder.

We bought factory reman, so didn't get to find out the details of how many
things inside were near EOL.

After 2000 hrs, we had switched to more frequent oil changes (30 hr), with
analysis, to increase the warning before the end.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
For those of you who decided to overhaul your engine. What made you
spend the big buck?

We discovered metal in the oil filter at the pre-buy inspection. This
forced us to lower our offer accordingly, and take the plunge on an
overhaul.

It was a giant pain in the butt, and very expensive -- but we haven't
regretted it. It's nice when the glass is still mostly full...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA