Old November 24th 03, 10:36 PM
Chris Kennedy

Javier Gorordo wrote:

If anyone has experience with the Reiff's HotStrip Oil Sump Heater,
will appreciate any input as to its usefulness/performance.
Specifically, I wonder how well (how fast) this pair of 100W heater
strips can warm up a cold-soaked sump (8-qts) in an O-300 (open
hangar, assume low in the 20s overnight).

I have their 'turbo XP' system on my 540 I can't speak to actual rise
time, since I usually just wander over and plug the thing in the night
before. It _has_ been trouble free and the 540 seems to enjoy being
warmed even when it's not been cold soaked.

I have their engine and prop covers as well. I _have_ done some futzing
with those and find that they _do_ make a difference (without them the
oil pan, cylinders and heads will be warm to the touch, but with them
everything under the cowl is nice and toasty). I'm not sure what the
contribution would be on an engine with a solid crank, but with a
constant speed prop the prop cover seems to make quite a difference.