Old December 1st 03, 04:50 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Javier Gorordo" wrote in message
m...

If anyone has experience with the Reiff's HotStrip Oil Sump Heater,
will appreciate any input as to its usefulness/performance.
Specifically, I wonder how well (how fast) this pair of 100W heater
strips can warm up a cold-soaked sump (8-qts) in an O-300 (open
hangar, assume low in the 20s overnight).
Plan is to rig it with a thermostat and an outdoor timer to have it
maintain a certain sump temperature, but figure that the ultimate
worst scenario will be to heat up from the 20s. Plane is in an open T
hangar.

I purchased a Hot Padd heater from Reiff. The heater could not be mounted
on my engine in accordance with the supplied instructions, so I made do as
best I could. The adhesive didn't cure and the pad easily peeled off. I
returned the pad to Reiff for a refund, they sent it back to me with more
adhesive. Apparently I violated the warranty by not following the
instructions to the letter, (the fact that it was impossible to follow them
was of no interest to Reiff). I don't know if the Reiff heater is any good
or not, I do know that their product support and customer relations are
terrible. I won't do business with them again.