Old October 16th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default To Pawnee or not to Pawnee...that is the question...

On Oct 15, 4:16 pm, Travis Beach
wrote:
Our club has a Piper Pawnee 235hp in excellent condition.
We just spent $35000 five years ago to completely overhaul
her...new fabric, new engine, anything that needed
to be replaced was...

Heres the rub...we are in the middle of a new two place
acquisition with the club making a decision about getting
a new two place intermediate performance. We were about
to drop the hammer when a very vocal minority raised
the issue of PAWNEE needing to be replaced citing extreme
maintenance cost (???) and inability to get parts.
He/She cited the local aero repair facility as his/her
source of information...Many of us just dont see this
as a problem. The replacement that was cited was a
Husky 180HP...I just dont see the reasoning of such
a switch...I surely would rather two a heavier two
place with a proven performer with 235 hp vs a 180...

What say you? Discuss...should we scrap the Pawnee
in favor of a Husky?

Beach

hmmm, lets see; cost of interest or lost income from the cash on a
120K Husky plus maintenance vs keeping a paid for 35K Pawnee flying.
Not hard for me to calculate:

1. Keep the Pawnee
2. Buy the two place
3. Add a winch to the operation and move toward a real sustainable
future.