Old August 11th 04, 11:53 PM
Jim Cummiskey

STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH VFR- Entry into the traffic pattern by interception
of
the extended runway centerline (final approach course) without executing

any
other portion of the traffic pattern.

Thanks, Steven. Just to be clear, what source are you quoting this from?
Also, I must point out that my approach and landing met this criteria. I
"intercepted the extended runway centerline without executing any other
portion of the traffic pattern." In this case, I chose to intercept the
extended runway centerline at approximately 1/4 mile from the numbers, while
reporting a "Five Mile Final" when I was five miles from doing so. The
issue is: Was this correct? Or, must a pilot literally intercept the
extended center line at a specific distance (which some on this forum seem
to assume that the controller implied when she directed me to "Report 5
miles final")?

Regards, Jim

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message

Hi, all. Ran into this one flying back from KOSH a couple weeks ago:

I check in with the KPRC controller "20 Miles NE" of Love Field in
Prescott, AZ. She clears me with "Cleared Straight-in Runway 21L,
Report 5 miles final."

What did she clear you for? "Cleared Straight-in Runway 21L" is not an
approach or landing clearance.

I fly directly towards the numbers. My heading was approximately 240
(hence, I'm ~30 deg off of the extended centerline).

At 5 miles from the airport (still offset from the centerline), I report

"5
mile final." She questions my position and gets all snippy (indeed,

darn
right rude) that I am "not on final" since I am not on the extended
centerline. She patronizingly cautions me to be "careful about this."

Well, she's right about not being on final. "Final" means that an

aircraft
is on the final approach course or is aligned with the runway.

Hence, the question is "What does 'Cleared Straight-in; Report X miles
Final" really mean?" Is it. . . .

(1) You must fly directly from your current position to a point on the
extended centerline that is X miles from the numbers, and then report
(sounds like a base to me).

or

(2) You can fly directly from your current position to the numbers (thus
"straight-in"), and report when you are X miles away.

"Straight-in" by itself is undefined, but there are other defined terms

that
include it.

STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH IFR- An instrument approach wherein final approach is
begun without first having executed a procedure turn, not necessarily
completed with a straight-in landing or made to straight-in landing
minimums.

STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH VFR- Entry into the traffic pattern by interception

of
the extended runway centerline (final approach course) without executing

any
other portion of the traffic pattern.

STRAIGHT-IN LANDING- A landing made on a runway aligned within 30° of the
final approach course following completion of an instrument approach.

I obviously vote for #2, but the controller clearly thought otherwise

(it
seems to me that if 30 deg = "straight-in" in the IFR domain, it ought

work well enough for VFR situations). Regardless, it is potentially
dangerous when controllers and pilots define things differently. Which
definition is right?

For VFR purposes, you're not on "final" until you're aligned with the
runway. She instructed you to report a five mile final, which you would
never be on unless you altered your course to the airport.