Old January 30th 04, 07:16 PM
Jay Honeck

So, folks, there you have it, a tremendous irrational response. And
this wasn't one or two people that we interviwed, it was the vast
majority. Definitely something we were not expecting from the
community of pilots.

Paulo, we've seen this same kind of irrational reaction from pilots (and
non-pilots) on occasion. One encounter in particular stands out in my mind:

We received a call from the airport, saying that they had a guy who needed a
suite for the night. He and his wife had just arrived in his $500K Baron,
and wanted to see our place cuz he'd read about it in GA News.

Before I could say "hello" he started trying to chisel down the price on one
of our suites. The EAA and AOPA discounts weren't enough for him -- and he
eventually demanded to stay in the absolute cheapest suite we had, which, I
informed him, was NOT an aviation theme suite.

He said it didn't matter -- so I put him in our smallest suite for a
whopping $47.95. Then, of course, after check-in he started bitching that
there was no "airplane stuff" in his suite.

Now, remember, we've not raised any prices from the previous owners, we've
invested tens of thousands of dollars into artwork, decor, furniture,
memorabilia, etc, we provide a FREE $30K van for the Baron pilot to drive,
and we deliver a FREE breakfast to his suite each morning, along with the
daily paper -- yet he wanted to pay "Super 8" prices.

Now, when I get someone like that -- pilot or not -- I simply give them the
"Motel 6" phone number, and wish them a good day. Life is too short to
screw with people like that.

Charge what you must to survive, Paulo. We'll stick with you!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA