Old September 15th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Wheel pants

"Bob F." wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

If you go down that road, the examiner may ask "Is a glider an
airplane?". Then what do you say?

Hmmm - I wonder why he called the glider an airplane? ;-)

I'd have say I don't think it's an airplane, but on the other hand it
has only ever gotten airborne when attached to an engine. So it seems
to satisfy the definition of airplane during aerotow. :-)

Not by a long stretch. (pun intended) :-)

I knew it was a stretch - but what's a student to do when confronted with
tricky examiners?

Silliness aside, I'm curious whether the first paragraph I offered
was correct for an airplane. If not, what kind of answer were you
expecting.

I think the examiner would be looking for knowledge about associating
an engine with an airplane and then a discussion about, "category,
class and type" may ensue.

Sorry, I was referring to this paragraph in response to your original post
regarding pantless airplane wheels (assuming the airplane never had any):

"I suppose I'd show that the aircraft was configured per the manufacturer's
Operating Handbook valid at the time the airworthiness certificate was
issued."