Old April 29th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Would you rather fly a Sailplane?

I was referring to the usual carry of a PG from the car or cable car to
the take off point, not hauling the thing on your back up 3000 vertical
feet. Yes, that is very hard. I have done that 100s of times. I have a
light PG with super light harness. I like the workout of climbing up for
3 hours in the early morning and a quiet, quick glide back home for
lunch. But you are right, for effortless flying at speed nothing beats
the coffin with a view.

gotovkotzepkoi

"the coffin with a view"? Really? At 17,000' it's kinda essential to have - there is no way you are going to survive hanging out in the open in the 13 knot thermal to cloudbase I found last weekend on my way to the Grand Canyon.

But you are right, for effortless flying at slow speed going nowhere, nothing probably beats the swing seat with a view...

It's all fun!

Kirk
66
(and yeah, I know para's go XC...chill.