Old February 17th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default National 425 Parachute for sale

I ran into this years ago. I had a National canopy in a different container.. I worked not far from National's shop then so I would just drop it off/pick it up and chat. They warned me a year ahead of time that they wouldn't repack it. Actually, they had an independent rigger who cam in and did the repacks but it was the same effect.

I managed to get it repacked a few more times by riggers who tested and inspected it and said it was fine. But most riggers didn't want to do it after 20 years. I finally gave up and bought another chute. Not intending to start another discussion on a subject that's been thrashed out many times here but although there's apparently no FAA regulation about lifespan, the national organization has issued (in the past, at least) a "recommendation" regarding 20 years. I was told it's even more of a liability issue now than before.

Or maybe the situation has changed. I just did a quick search and didn't see anything recent.

Your chute may be fine for another 10 or more years. But the value is dramatically reduced because of the difficulty of getting it packed and the general perception that there's a 20 year life.

Chip Bearden