Old December 5th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Airbus

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

In article , says...

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
Roger (K8RI) writes:

At cruise RPM that effect would be completely lost. There's not a
bird or human alive that can discern stroboscopic effects of more than
a couple hundred cycles let alone over a 1000. Most of us can't even
discern 60 cps.

Birds have much better vision than human beings,

Demonstrably true.

and I don't believe
anyone
has tested their ability to discern stroboscopic effects.

You're out on a limb there. There has been A LOT of testing on birds' vision,
and they don't necessarily ask your opinion. . .

And the front
fan
on a turbofan is turning at around 40-50 revolutions per second, not
thousands.

Guess again.

Well, I think he made a pretty good "guess" - the GE90-115B tha powers the
777 turns (front fan) at 2550RPM, or 42.5 RPS. He probably didn't ahve to
guess much, as these facts are easily and irrefutably verified. I "guess" you
haven't learned that. . .