Old February 1st 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Default reading recomendations: soaring and meteo

I am not sure what would help you most with passing Portuguese
examinations, but in the UK the level of knowledge you need for our
met exam is probably more than adequately covered by “Meteorology &
Flight” by Tom Bradbury (he was a very competent glider pilot as well
as a professional meteorologist), available from the BGA – see :
http://www.bgashop.co.uk/index.php?_...od&productId=9 .

(I have not read it myself, but others have spoken well of it. I don’t
know if it covers modern web-based sources for forecasting.)

My own reference book is “Meteorology for Glider Pilots” by C. E.
Wallington available from Amazon. It is older, and certainly does not
cover modern web-based sources. It is very detailed and academic in
approach. Again, the author was a very well known glider pilot as well
as a professional meteorologist

Another source (again, sorry I have not read it) is “Understanding
Flying Weather” By Derek Piggott, sadly out of stock at the BGA, but
may be available elsewhere. A Customer review said: “ Good enough to
get you going. This book is a good starter on aviation meteorology as
applied to gliding and free-flight. If you know very little about
thermals, fronts and the effects of the sun on the weather, this
should be a useful starter.”

Hope this helps, and perhaps some others will provide more first-hand
information.

Chris N.