Old February 19th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

Peter Dohm wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

wrote

The dry weight of the prototype was 200 lbs and it was designed
for 400 lbs gross, by real engineers.

I could not fly it, and I'm by no means, a lard butt. Under 170 lbs for
the pilot, it looks like to me.

To be within design gross with 5 gallons of fuel, yes.

--
Jim in NC

I admit the same problem, due mostly to height. It would need to be scaled
up, which is not always a good idea, since it is difficult to scale myself
down. I am making some progress on the width and gross weight part of the
problem. :-)

The designer was tall ans skinny, over 6' IIRC. Evidently Height is
not the problem that, er, girth is.

None the less, an interesting design--even though it apears to be so
"traditional" as to use a tail skid to double as a brake.

From what I read on the Yahoo club it flies fine with pilots up to 200

lbs
(not sure how much fuel, probably less than 5 gallons). A heavier
pilot erodes the factor of safety. The stress analysis on the airframe
was done by finite element analysis by competent engineers so
you can be confident in the factor of safety, you know how much you
have left if you fly over gross.

--

FF