Old February 8th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 7, 6:56*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

My understanding is the rule was introduced because pilots were using
them for contest advantage rather than increased safety should they
inadvertently enter a cloud. The cloud flying would discourage pilots
from entering contests that were unwilling to take the risk or break the
rules, and would decrease safety as less able pilots attempted to risk
cloud flying.

The following is just some rambling thoughts.

IIRC, the "no-gyro" rule was in effect since at least the early
'60's. Back in those days pilots were not required to carry a
barograph so there was no altitude record. I suspect the rule was
just to insure cloud flying didn't happen.

Safety-wise, the old gliders handled a "benign spiral" better than the
extremely slippery racers of today so the no-gyro rule didn't
introduce much of a safety issue.

Now, loggers provide altitude data so it should be possible to spot
any pilot climbing higher than cloudbase by comparing IGC files so
maybe there is less justification for a no-gyro rule.