Old February 8th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 8, 8:52*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
It is alot better than nothing if it happens that you ever need it. *And it is RIDICULOUS to outlaw it from the cockpit of airplanes when people want to have them as a safety measure, just encase.

Any of you with instrument training, partial panel training...will understand. *Sure most people, even with a turn and bank, are in a world of hurt once IMC is encountered. *I get that.

But saying the T&B is illegal is like saying to the window washers that its illegal for them to wear safety harnesses because is encourages them to skip maintenance on their cranes.

Shocking to me that someone needs to explain the logic here. *Shocking.

I made sure to add a Tru-Trak to my panel.

In my early days of hang gliding I got sucked into a cloud as it
rapidly formed and eventually totally engulfed me; it was
terrifying................I eventually spun out the side of the cloud
and once I had ground reference it was easy to correct. If anyone
tells you using a compass will save you it's not true. Another time I
was in wave in my ASK-14 when a wave cloud precessed and totally
whited me out...........I had a Wendezeiger installed in the panel and
it was on. 5 minutes later I flew out of the bottom of that cloud
totally wings level and under control.

The most recent occurance I had no turn instrument, and was lucky
enough the blue hole under me stayed open long enough to spiral down
thru. It's amazing how at 9k the cloud tops and blue holes are easy to
see and navigate around, it's also amazing as you descend how those
cloud towers completely block your view and what ever blue holes are/
were out there get limited rapidly.

From a safety standpoint I'll have that Tru-trak as insurance, and I
have partial panel experience as a PPSEL, and no, just because I have
the training I'll not use that as justification to cloud
fly...........it's illegal and un-safe...there I said
it...............un-safe and I'm not swinging thru the trees as I type
this.

Brad