Old February 8th 12, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

A couple of thoughts.

I would like to point out that there are good precedents. For example,
some of us already fly with devices that supposedly encourage
excessive risk taking. They are called "engines", and we figured out a
way to handle this issue. You start the engine, your logger detects it
and it counts as a land out.
I see no reason why the same approach could not be used for any kind
of cloud flying equipment.

I know that it is possible to get into a cloud without trying to (or
while actively resisting). I got sucked into one. Due to the
cicrumstances it was neither unsafe nor illegal, but certainly
unintended.

Oh, and it is possible to make a sensor that would detect it when a
glider is in a cloud. And there would be countless ways of
circumventing it. Sometimes it is best to rely on a honor system.

Bart