Old February 8th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

your logger detects it
and it counts as a land out.
I see no reason why the same approach could not be used for any kind
of cloud flying equipment.

This means the scorer has to get every log every day, so you can't
turn in your primary log and forget to turn in the butterfly log. It
means Guy has to reprogram winscore for every new instrument that
comes out. It means that any failure of the butterfly log also means
zero for the day any gap in the log, any security failure, anything at
all goes wrong with it and you lose points. That's way too much to put
on the poor scorer, and I'm not sure you'd want it once the ifs ands
and buts are spelled out!

I know that it is possible to get into a cloud without trying to (or
while actively resisting). I got sucked into one. Due to the
cicrumstances it was neither unsafe nor illegal, but certainly
unintended.

I'm mr safety in contests, but I think we need just some hint of a
problem before we change rules. I know of zero -- zero -- incidents in
US contest soaring that a cautious pilot, not pushing the limits, got
unintentionally sucked in to a cloud, and wished he had a "safety"
artificial horizon.

I know of lots of incidents of pilots deliberatly flying in to clouds,
with or without gyros; and many more deliberately flying into / under
thunderstorms and other low visibility situations. (We have the
"safety finish" for a reason!)

The balance of safety -- to say nothing of competitive fairness --
still seems to me squarely on the side of the no artificial horizons
rule

John Cochrane